Followers

Tuesday 25 March 2014

Kingfisher in the Rushes




I've had this image for a few months now after winning it in a blog challenge. I haven't really been crafting very much at all until quite recently when I felt in the mood for doing some colouring again. I've been making my design team cards and that's about it but I've had a spate of colouring images just for the sake of colouring a lovely image. I really enjoyed colouring this one even though my eyes were playing up and I had to stop and start a number of times.

The image is called 'Kingfisher in the Rushes' and is by Delicious Doodles.

Unfortunately my photo isn't 100% which I didn't notice until after I'd cropped it and saved it so I think I'll use it and hope it's not too noticeable. It's only at the top of the photo where the sun throws a slight shadow. I coloured the image using my Promarkers and a Sakura gelly roll pen on the dragonflies to make them glisten. I first of all cut it out with a Spellbinders grand oval nestie and it didn't look right with a broad white border. I then cut it down to half width and I still didn't like it so I eventually took the bull by the horns and cut round the black oval edge! I was dreading making a mistake because it had taken me ages to colour and I thought I would make a mess of it. I'm pleased to say that it worked. I think the image stands out much better. The card blank is by Joanna Sheen and the backing paper is from a First Edition 'Hideaway' pad. The pearlescent greeny/bluey/grey card is from 'I know not where'. I must have bought it at a craft show because there are ten sheets in a bag but with no name on it. It's a beautiful colour and I thought it toned in very well with the feathers of the kingfisher. After cutting the mat for the backing paper I cut three different widths of the same card to add as side pieces to the design. The little wooden dragonfly is from Create and Craft and I coloured it with the Sakura pen to make it glisten like the ones in the image. I used a Spellbinders resplendent rectangle for the sentiment which I'd generated on the computer. I added a little 'kingfisher' coloured pearl to each side of the sentiment.

I'll enter my card into the following challenges:
613 Avenue Create Challenge - Anything Goes with twist of Birds of a Feather
Eclectic Ellapu Pink Team - Wings
Eclectic Ellapu Purple Team - Flowers and Butterflies
Challenges 4 Everybody - Anything Goes



4 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful card Hazel. Great colouring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hazel This is just perfect for our Birds of a Feather optional twist this week! Love the added dragonfly. Thanks for playing in our neighborhood at 613 Avenue Create!
    Kathi
    Co-Owner/DT Coordinator

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card. Thanks for joining us at 613 Avenue Create. PennyRae DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Hazel, the colours in this card are gorgeous ....in both the image and your background papers .....they're all saying Nature and Kingfisher to me and are so serene. The intricately coloured image is stunning, no wonder your heart was in your mouth as you found yourself hand cutting the fine black border. Mind you, your courage has been so justified as the image has so much impact. I love that 'stray' sparking dragonfly flying towards the bulrushes ....The kingfisher looks as though he's watching too. A very beautiful card Hazel.
    Love Ingrid xxx ♥ ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete